Thursday, February 14, 2008

The Simplicity of God & Man's Praise

Lately, I've been doing a bit of reading in modern theology. In an attempt to get a better handle on Karl Barth I picked up my copy Church Dogmatics: A Selection (translated by G. W. Bromiley) hoping to get a quick sampling of his writing. Last night I came across the following statement on the simplicity of God, and I had to stop and wonder at the glory of God (this is, by no means, a blanket endorsement of Barth's theology, just something I think he put well). Barth writes...
God Himself is simple, so simple that in all His glory He can be near to the simplest perception and also laugh at the most profound or acute thinking--so simple that He reduces everyone to silence, and then allows and requires everyone to make Him the object of their thoughts and speech. (p. 36)
This thought caught my attention because it reminded me of a similar lesson I learned while studying the Praise Psalms for a recent Sunday School series. As I was reading and studying the Praise Psalms I picked up a copy of C. S. Lewis' Reflections on the Psalms. Lewis wondered at the fact that we are commanded to praise the LORD.

The Preacher in Ecclesiastes 5:1 cautions against hastiness in speaking before God.
Be not rash with your mouth, nor let your heart be hasty to utter a word before God, for God is in heaven and you are on earth. Therefore let your words be few. (ESV)
However, praise is unrestrained in the Psalter.
Psalm 9:1-2
1 I will give thanks to the Lord with my whole heart;
I will recount all of your wonderful deeds.
2 I will be glad and exult in you;
I will sing praise to your name, O Most High. (ESV)
Praise is required of all creatures.
Psalm 150
1 Praise the Lord!
Praise God in his sanctuary;
praise him in his mighty heavens!
2 Praise him for his mighty deeds;
praise him according to his excellent greatness!

3 Praise him with trumpet sound;
praise him with lute and harp!
4 Praise him with tambourine and dance;
praise him with strings and pipe!
5 Praise him with sounding cymbals;
praise him with loud clashing cymbals!
6 Let everything that has breath praise the Lord!
Praise the Lord! (ESV)

What an awesome privilege this is!
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment