Thursday, July 17, 2014

Doxology in the Midst of Perceived Abandonment

Flipping through my notepad this morning I came across a statement on the practice of doxology that I copied down from Walter Brueggemann's book, Prophetic Imagination. This statement caught my attention back when an older friend was dying and the small congregation I was serving was grieving. I was helped and encouraged at that time, and this morning I was blessed again by the reminder!

Brueggemann declares..."I believe that, rightly embraced, no more subversive or prophetic idiom can be uttered than the practice of doxology, which sets us before the reality of God, of God right at the center of a scene from which we presumed he had fled."

By the uplifting power of the Holy Spirit we are enabled to rise up on the midst of our grief and sorrow to SING...

Praise God from whom all blessings flow.
Praise Him all creatures here below.
Praise Him above, ye heavenly host.
Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

and 

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Ghost.
As it was in the beginning, tis now and ever shall be, world without end, Amen.

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment